IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
(1) PhotoAlto, Jupiter Images Unlimited, iStockphoto
(2) Jean Louis Aubert /PhotoAlto
(3) Steve Starr/Index Stock Imagery, iStockphoto
(4) Steve Lyne/Dorling Kindersley
(5) Ghislain & Marie David de Lossy/The Image Bank
(6) Crystal Cartier/Brand X
(7) Heinz Krimmer /Voller Ernst
(8) iStockphoto, Mark M Lawrence/Flirt Collection
(9) Brand X Pictures
(10) DK Limited/CORBIS
(11) Sean Murphy/Riser
(12) Ryan McVay/Photodisc
(13) Erin Vey/Photolibrary
(14) Jim Craigmyle/Corbis
(15) Dorling Kindersley
(16) Photolibrary, Jupiter Images Unlimited, iStockphoto
(17) Jupiter Images Unlimited, Fancy
(18) age fotostock, webstend61
(19) Nordic Photos, Jupiter Images Unlimited
(20) Nigel Cattlin/ Visuals Unlimited
(22) GK Hart/Vikki Hart/Taxi
(23) Koki Iino/MIXA
(24) Larry Williams/Blend Images
(25) Chris Cheadle/All Canada Photos
American Veterinary Medical Association: "What You Should Know About Household Hazards," "What You Should Know About External Parasites," "What You Should Know About Choosing a Veterinarian for Your Pet."
ASPCA: "Where We Stand on Puppy Mills: The ASPCA's Policy and Positions," "Finding the Right Vet."
Benjamin, C. The Chosen Puppy: How to Select and Raise a Great Puppy From an Animal Shelter, Howell Book House, 1990.
Linda P. Case, adjunct assistant professor, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois; author, The Cat: Its Behavior, Nutrition & Health; co-author, Canine and Feline Nutrition.
Carrie Damewood, DVM, Cottage Grove, OR.
Davis-Wurzler, G. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice, May 2006.
Fogle, B. ASPCA Complete Dog Care Manual, DK Publishing, Inc., 1993.
Humane Society of the United States: "What to Consider Before Adopting a Pet," "How Pets Help People," "Choosing a Veterinarian."
Johnson, N. The Complete Puppy & Dog Book: All You Need to Know to Keep Your Pet Healthy and Happy From Birth to Old Age, Galahad Books, 1977.
Klever, U. The Complete Book of Dog Care: How to Raise a Happy and Healthy Dog, Barron's Educational Series Inc., 1988.
The Monks of New Skete. The Art of Raising a Puppy, Little, Brown and Company, 1991.
Veterinary Partner: "Crate Training Puppies."
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases: "Parasitic Roundworm Diseases."
Wrede, B. Before You Buy That Puppy. Barron's Educational Series Inc., 1994.