photo of amaryllis
1 / 12

Amaryllis

This bulb produces a large, trumpet-shaped flower, typically red or white. They grow to between 4 and 10 inches in size. Common symptoms after your dog or cat eats it are:

  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Tenderness in belly area
  • Drooling
  • Sudden weight loss
  • Trembling

 

Swipe to advance
photo of lillies
2 / 12

Lilies

This flower is so toxic to cats that even a small amount could cause kidney damage. All of the plant is poisonous -- even the pollen. You might notice drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, or no symptoms at all. The key is to get your cat to the vet right away. Lilies are far less harmful to dogs, but they can irritate their mouths and stomachs, especially calla lilies.

Swipe to advance
photo of sago palm
3 / 12

Sago Palms

You might know them as coontie palms, cardboard palms, cycads, or zamias. They look like little palm trees, and your pet could get seizures or liver failure from munching on them. The seeds are especially bad. Even one or two could cause symptoms like:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Depression

 

Swipe to advance
photo of tulips
4 / 12

Tulips

These colorful, cup-shaped flowers signal the start of spring. But they can be a real problem if your furry friend mistakes them for a snack. Though any part of the plant can irritate their mouth and throat, the bulbs are the most toxic. If your pet eats a few, they might have trouble breathing, start drooling, or even have convulsions.

Swipe to advance
photo of holly
5 / 12

Holly

Lip smacking, drooling, and head shaking are signs your pet has chowed on holly. Toxins are part of the problem, as are spiky leaves that can be hard on the mouth and tummy. You might notice vomiting, diarrhea, and low mood soon after. Some types are more toxic than others.

Swipe to advance
photo of mistletoe
6 / 12

Mistletoe

If you like to use real mistletoe for your holiday events, keep it where pets can’t get to it. The berries can cause vomiting, diarrhea, breathing problems, low heart rate, and even ataxia (walking wobbly) and seizures in dogs and cats.

Swipe to advance
photo of
7 / 12

Begonia

The most toxic part, which can cause kidney issues, is under the soil in the root area. So your pet would have to empty the pot onto the floor to get to that. Still, the leaves and blossoms are also poisonous. They can irritate the inside of your dog or cat’s mouth and cause vomiting, drooling, and trouble swallowing.

Swipe to advance
photo of oleander
8 / 12

Oleander

Tremors, drooling, seizures, muscle weakness, and extreme vomiting are just some of the signs that your pet may have eaten some of this highly poisonous plant. It can strain their heart, so get your pet to the doctor right away.

Swipe to advance
photo of schefflera
9 / 12

Schefflera

You might know this common household plant as an umbrella tree or starleaf. It adds a touch of green to your house, and it’s easy to care for. But if your pets nibble on it, they might have intense burning and irritation in and around their mouth, along with vomiting, drooling, and swallowing problems.

Swipe to advance
photo of cutting flowers
10 / 12

Plants You Cut Outside

Any number of flowers and plants that you cut outside and bring inside can also be poisonous to pets. Azalea and hydrangea cuttings are two common culprits. Foxglove, iris, and daffodils can also cause serious problems.

Swipe to advance
photo of marijuana
11 / 12

Marijuana

Take great care if you decide to keep this plant inside. It can cause vomiting, drooling, fast heart rate, seizures, low body temperature, and even unconsciousness or coma.

Swipe to advance
photo of person using phone
12 / 12

What to Do for Your Pet

Keep poisonous plants away from pets. Clear up any leaves and other debris that might tempt them. Call your vet or an emergency vet if you think your animal has eaten something toxic, especially if they show signs of illness. Take a picture of the plant or bring some of it, or the vomit, with you to the vet to help figure out what your pet ate. Also, the ASPCA has a 24-hour Animal Poison Control Center hotline at 888-426-4435.

Swipe to advance

Up Next

Next Slideshow Title

Sources | Medically Reviewed on 12/04/2019 Reviewed by Amy Flowers, DVM on December 04, 2019

IMAGES PROVIDED BY:

1) Getty

2) Getty

3) Getty

4) Getty

5) Getty

6) Getty

7) Getty

8) Getty

9) Getty

10) Getty

11) Getty

12) Getty

 

SOURCES:

University of Minnesota Extension: “Growing and caring for amaryllis.”

American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals: “17 Plants Poisonous to Pets,” “Amaryllis,” “Azalea,” “Begonia,” “Coontie Palm,” “Daffodil,” “Foxglove,” “Holly,” “How to Spot Which Lilies are Dangerous to Cats & Plan Treatment,” “Iris,” “Lily,”  “Marijuana,” “Mistletoe  (American),” “Oleander,” “Poisonous Plants,” “Sago Palm,” “Schefflera,” “Umbrella Plant.”

American Kennel Club: “Protect Your Pooch from Poisonous Plants.”

National Garden Bureau: “Year of the Tulip.”

American Veterinary Medical Association: “Household Hazards.”

Lilies Kill Cats: “Begonias -- How to safely showcase these potentially toxic, but definitely beautiful, plants.”

Missouri Botanical Garden: “Schefflera arboricola.”

Washington State University Extension: “Poisonous Plants and Pets.”

Reviewed by Amy Flowers, DVM on December 04, 2019

This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.

THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.