- More Pets Being Poisoned by Cannabis
April 20, 2022 — According to a new survey, with marijuana now legal in many states, some veterinarians are seeing more cases of cannabis poisoning in dogs and other pets.
- How You Handle Pet Food Could Be Making Your Dog—And You—Sick
April 12, 2022 — When it comes to food safety and your pets, there’s a lot to learn.
- Experts Offer Holiday Safety Tips for Pets
December 13, 2021 — Here’s what to know about pet safety amid the holiday season, according to experts interviewed.
- COVID-Detecting Dogs Pilot First Airport Program
September 20, 2021 — These good girls are very good at what they do, which is detecting the scent of COVID-19 in human breath.
- Pet Store Puppies Tied to Infections in People
September 16, 2021 — Puppies can carry very drug-resistant Campylobacter. You might not want them licking your face.
- FDA Issues Warning About Illnesses, Deaths Linked to Midwestern Pet Foods
August 19, 2021 — The FDA issued a public warning on Tuesday about contaminated pet food sold by Midwestern Pet Foods, which could be linked with more than 220 illnesses and 130 deaths among dogs and cats.
- Doctor Convicted After Shooting, Beating Dog
July 30, 2021 — A 58-year-old Ohio doctor has been convicted for hitting his dog with a hammer and shooting him, according to multiple news reports.
- Imported Dog Develops Rabies, Investigation Launched
June 21, 2021 — At least 12 people were exposed to the dog, which was among 33 dogs and one cat that arrived from Azerbaijan at O'Hare International Airport in Chicago.
- Dogs Get Jealous, Too, Even for Hidden Rivals
April 16, 2021 — The researchers found that dogs will go so far as to show jealousy even when they can only imagine their owners are interacting with a potential rival.
- Dog Detector Helps YouTuber Cope With COVID Isolation
April 2, 2021 — The COVID-19 pandemic has changed a lot of things over the past year, including how people interact with strangers and their dogs.
- Salmonella Scare Drives Pet Food Recall
March 30, 2021 — The recall is for certain lots of the following brands: CanineX, Earthborn Holistic, Venture, Unrefined, Sportmix Wholesomes, Pro Pac, Pro Pac Ultimates, Sportstrail, Sportmix and Meridian.
- Flea Collar May Be Linked to 1,700 Pet Deaths
March 19, 2021 — Since the Seresto collars were introduced in 2012, there have been more than 75,000 incidents -- ranging from skin irritation to seizures to death -- reported to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Recall: Pet Food Blamed in Death of 70 Dogs
January 12, 2021 — The announcement expands upon a recall first issued on Dec. 30 by Midwestern Pet Foods, Inc. At the time, the company said that at least 28 dogs had already died after eating Sportmix pet food.
- Service Dog Back With Family After 3 Years Apart
December 17, 2020 — Steve and Debra Mejeur said their black lab mix, Lola, disappeared in 2017 while they were visiting a friend’s house in Illinois.
- Ode to Joy: Christmas Song for Dogs Released
November 19, 2020 — The track is called “Raise the Woof!” and features squeaky toy sounds, barks, common commands, and bells and whistles -- all on top of a reggae beat.
- Pets Helped People Cope During Pandemic: Study
September 30, 2020 — More than 90% said their pet helped them cope emotionally with the lockdown and 96% said their pet helped keep them fit and active.
- Is Raw or Homemade Food Good for Your Pet?
June 29, 2020 — New research found that only 13% of dog owners and about one-third of cat owners exclusively fed their pets conventional pet foods as their main meals all of the time.
- Lab Animals Find New Homes Through Adoption
March 17, 2020 — Two-year old Teddy was one of 32 beagles put up for adoption after being released from a Michigan lab last April. Eight hundred families applied to adopt them through the Michigan Humane Society.
- Your Pets Unlikely to Get or Give Coronavirus
March 3, 2020 — Concerns about pet illness with COVID-19, and spread between owners and their animals emerged on Feb. 28, when Hong Kong health authorities announced that a dog belonging to a woman sick with COVID-19, also tested “weak positive” for the new coronavirus, the virus that causes the disease.
- German Dies of Infection from Dog's Lick
November 25, 2019 — The infection was caused by capnocytophaga canimorsus bacteria, which is commonly found in the mouths of dogs and cats, but rarely transmitted to humans, CNN reported.
- Recall: Frozen Cat Food for Salmonella Concerns
November 18, 2019 — GoRaw LLC, doing business as Steve’s Real Food, has recalled its 2-pound bags of frozen Quest Beef Cat Food.
- Like Kids and Dogs, Your Cat Really Does Need You
September 23, 2019 — Your cat may often act indifferent, but deep down, Fluffy is as attached to you as your child or your dog, new research shows.
- Four-Legged Friends Help Buffer Loss of a Spouse
September 18, 2019 — Investigators looked at 437 older adults, some of whom lost a spouse, either through divorce or death. They found that having a cat or dog at home was linked to an easing of loneliness and depression.
- Avoid All Pig-Ear Dog Treats: U.S. Officials
September 6, 2019 — There have been five separate recalls of pig-ear dog treats in the United States, and the CDC and FDA issued a general warning against all pig-ear treats as they conduct an investigation.
- Recall: Brutus & Barnaby Pig Ear Treats for Dogs
August 29, 2019 — All package sizes of Brutus & Barnaby pig ear treats for dogs have been recalled due to possible salmonella contamination, the Florida-based company says.
- One Downside of Legalized Pot: Poisoned Pets
July 8, 2019 — As more states legalize marijuana, the drug poses an increased poisoning risk to pets, the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) warns.
- FDA: More Food-Related Heart Disease in Pets
June 27, 2019 — The cases of dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) -- 515 in dogs and nine in cats -- were logged between January 2014 and April 2019.
- Did 'Puppy Dog Eyes' Evolve to Please Humans?
June 17, 2019 — Dogs' eyebrows are particularly expressive. Dogs can raise them, which makes their eyes look bigger and sadder, like humans can, according to Juliane Kaminski, a scientist at the University of Portsmouth in England, and her colleagues.
- Feeling Stressed? Then Your Dog Probably Feels Stressed, Too
June 7, 2019 — In the study, the dogs’ long-term levels of the anxiety hormone cortisol were found to be synchronized with their owners. If the owner showed a lot of stress, the dog did, too. Owners with low cortisol levels had dogs with low levels.
- DNA Might Determine Whether You're a Dog Lover
May 21, 2019 — Dogs were the first domesticated animal and have had close ties with humans for at least 15,000 years. Dogs are believed to benefit the well-being and health of their owners.
- CDC: Snuggling Pet Hedgehogs Can Spread Salmonella
January 28, 2019 — The CDC reports that 11 people had been infected with SalmonellaTyphimurium. Ten of the 11 say they handled a hedgehog before they became ill.
- Can Arthritic Dogs Benefit From Stem Cell Therapy?
August 2, 2018 — In this study, stem cells were gathered from fat tissue in each dog and injected back into the same dog at the site of the arthritic joint. The dog was able to go home the same day as the procedure.
- Man Loses Limbs After Infection From Dog's Lick
August 1, 2018 — Greg Manteufel loves dogs and had been around eight of them about the time he became ill, according to his wife Dawn Manteufel. It's not clear which dog was carrying the bacteria.
- Summer Safety: Saltwater A Lethal Threat to Dogs
July 19, 2018 — From too much heat to a lack of fresh water, dogs and other pets face summertime threats. One Florida man learned that hard way that saltwater can be deadly for dogs.
- Heart Disease in Dogs May be Tied to Certain Foods
July 13, 2018 — Large dogs such as Great Danes, Newfoundlands, Irish Wolfhounds, Saint Bernards and Doberman Pinschers have a genetic risk for canine DCM, a disease of the heart muscle that often leads to congestive heart failure.
- Can Fido Fetch the Fountain of Youth?
May 15, 2018 — In dogs, the researchers now hope to add about 20 percent more to the animals' ball-chasing time on Earth.
- Just How Safe Is Your Pet's Food?
March 21, 2018 — A new study that finds chemical preservatives known as parabens are often in dog and cat food, as well as in urine samples from the animals
- FDA Warning: Euthanasia Drug Found in Wet Dog Food
February 15, 2018 — J.M. Smucker Co. said it has pulled specific shipments of Gravy Train, Kibbles 'N Bits, Ol’ Roy, and Skippy canned wet dog food.
- The Purrfect Diet for Your Fat Cat
February 11, 2018 — The goal was to help the cats shed 1.5 percent of their body weight per week. That's in line with recommendations from the American Animal Hospital Association.
- Got a Pet Rat? Watch Out for This Scary New Virus
February 5, 2018 — Seoul virus is a rat-borne hantavirus that typically causes symptoms that resemble the flu -- fever, headache, muscle pain. In rare cases infection can lead to hospitalization with hemorrhagic fever and kidney failure.
- Take Care of Fido: Dog Flu On The Rise
January 25, 2018 — Canine flu has not been reported in many states yet, although hot spots include northern Kentucky, southern Ohio, and central California. One case has been reported in Michigan.
- Raw Meat Not the Best Choice for Your Dog ... or You
January 11, 2018 — Raw meat diets for pets have become increasingly popular, but there is no evidence that they are healthier than typical pet foods, the researchers said.
- Your Pets Can't Put Your Aging on 'Paws'
December 14, 2017 — The British researchers pointed out that some studies have suggested that pets can improve psychological health, perhaps by easing loneliness or providing companionship.
- Science Says Dogs Are Smarter Than Cats
November 30, 2017 — Dogs are smarter than cats, according to a new study that may settle a debate that's long had the fur flying between dog and cat lovers.
- FDA: Beware of Bone Treats for Dogs
November 28, 2017 — Ninety dogs have been sickened, including 15 who died, from bone treats, federal agency says.
- Does Your Pet Have a Weight Problem?
November 9, 2017 — More than half of pet cats and dogs are overweight, leading to potential health problems for your furry companion.
- Does Your Dog 'Talk' to You?
October 19, 2017 — Study may advance what's known about canine-human communication
- 55 in 12 States Hit With Puppy Poop Infections
October 6, 2017 — CDC says Campylobacter bacteria can be transmitted by handling dogs
- When Hurricanes Strike, People Aren't the Only Victims
September 15, 2017 — The safety of pets can force some wrenching decisions for their owners