Pets News & Features
- Summer Safety: Saltwater A Lethal Threat to Dogs
July 19, 2018 — From too much heat to a lack of fresh water, dogs and other pets face summertime threats. One Florida man learned that hard way that saltwater can be deadly for dogs.
- Heart Disease in Dogs May be Tied to Certain Foods
July 13, 2018 — Large dogs such as Great Danes, Newfoundlands, Irish Wolfhounds, Saint Bernards and Doberman Pinschers have a genetic risk for canine DCM, a disease of the heart muscle that often leads to congestive heart failure.
- Can Fido Fetch the Fountain of Youth?
May 15, 2018 — In dogs, the researchers now hope to add about 20 percent more to the animals' ball-chasing time on Earth.
- Just How Safe Is Your Pet's Food?
March 21, 2018 — A new study that finds chemical preservatives known as parabens are often in dog and cat food, as well as in urine samples from the animals
- Treating and Preventing Fleas on Your Pet
February 21, 2018 — Fido or Fluffy is scratching and biting. It’s a good bet your furry friend has fleas. Discover how to get your dog or cat relief, and make those fleas stay away.
- FDA Warning: Euthanasia Drug Found in Wet Dog Food
February 15, 2018 — J.M. Smucker Co. said it has pulled specific shipments of Gravy Train, Kibbles 'N Bits, Ol’ Roy, and Skippy canned wet dog food.
- The Purrfect Diet for Your Fat Cat
February 11, 2018 — The goal was to help the cats shed 1.5 percent of their body weight per week. That's in line with recommendations from the American Animal Hospital Association.
- Got a Pet Rat? Watch Out for This Scary New Virus
February 5, 2018 — Seoul virus is a rat-borne hantavirus that typically causes symptoms that resemble the flu -- fever, headache, muscle pain. In rare cases infection can lead to hospitalization with hemorrhagic fever and kidney failure.
- Take Care of Fido: Dog Flu On The Rise
January 25, 2018 — Canine flu has not been reported in many states yet, although hot spots include northern Kentucky, southern Ohio, and central California. One case has been reported in Michigan.
- Raw Meat Not the Best Choice for Your Dog ... or You
January 11, 2018 — Raw meat diets for pets have become increasingly popular, but there is no evidence that they are healthier than typical pet foods, the researchers said.
- Your Pets Can't Put Your Aging on 'Paws'
December 14, 2017 — The British researchers pointed out that some studies have suggested that pets can improve psychological health, perhaps by easing loneliness or providing companionship.
- Science Says Dogs Are Smarter Than Cats
November 30, 2017 — Dogs are smarter than cats, according to a new study that may settle a debate that's long had the fur flying between dog and cat lovers.
- FDA: Beware of Bone Treats for Dogs
November 28, 2017 — Ninety dogs have been sickened, including 15 who died, from bone treats, federal agency says.
- Does Your Pet Have a Weight Problem?
November 9, 2017 — More than half of pet cats and dogs are overweight, leading to potential health problems for your furry companion.
- Does Your Dog 'Talk' to You?
October 19, 2017 — Study may advance what's known about canine-human communication
- 55 in 12 States Hit With Puppy Poop Infections
October 6, 2017 — CDC says Campylobacter bacteria can be transmitted by handling dogs
- When Hurricanes Strike, People Aren't the Only Victims
September 15, 2017 — The safety of pets can force some wrenching decisions for their owners
- United Pet Group Recalls More Rawhide Chews
June 19, 2017 — United Pet Group is expanding its voluntary recall of rawhide dog chew products sold under multiple brands.
- What Pet Owners Should Know About Dog Flu
June 14, 2017 — Humans can't catch it, but new canine virus can make your pet 'sick as a dog'
- Fido or Fluffy Can Bring You a Health Boost
May 16, 2017 — And here are tips to help choose the right pet for you
- Overweight Pets Face Health Woes, Too, FDA Says
March 16, 2017 — More than half of dogs, cats in the Land of Plenty weigh too much
- Best Pet Food: What the Label Can Tell You
February 15, 2017 — Where to look for clues that you’re buying the best food for your cat or dog.
- Pet Cancer: Can You Spot the Signs?
October 31, 2016 — Do you know the signs of cancer in your pets?
- New Parasite May Have Come From Imported Pets
October 8, 2015 — Details are emerging about the first six human infections in the U.S. of a worm that goes by the scientific name Onchocerca lupi.
- What Your Pet's Fur Says About Her Health
October 6, 2015 — Learn how to spot common fur problems and what they mean for your four-legged friend.
- Does Your Pet's Breath Pass the Sniff Test?
August 24, 2015 — Bad breath can be a sign of more serious health issues in your dog or cat.
- Rescue Me: Tips for Adopting a Pet
July 9, 2015 — Is adopting a rescue animal really as simple as driving to your local shelter, perusing a parade of cute pups and kittens, and bringing one home? Nope.
- Contaminated Pet Food, Treats Can Harm People, Too
June 10, 2015 — FDA recommends careful handling of what you feed your dog or cat
- Is Your Yard Safe for Your Dog or Cat?
June 9, 2015 — Poisonous plants and toxic chemicals could be lurking in your yard. Here's how to protect your pets.
- When You're Allergic to Your Pet
March 5, 2015 — Allergic to your four-legged friend? An expert explains how you can both live happily ever after.
- How Often Should Your Pet See a Veterinarian?
October 28, 2014 — Your four-legged friend needs wellness visits, too. Here's what to expect at each stage of life.
- Brain Scans: Pets Really Are Like Our Children
October 3, 2014 — Mothers respond similarly to photos of their kids, their dogs
- Fitness Trackers for Pets
September 25, 2014 — Can a wearable health monitor help keep your dog or cat in shape? Find out.
- Dental Care for Pets
September 9, 2014 — Just like visits to the vet, dental cleanings should be part of routine pet care.
- Is It Time to Put My Pet to Sleep?
September 1, 2014 — It’s the hardest decision a pet owner will face: How do you know when it’s time to put an aging or ailing pet down?
- Pets Harmed by Secondhand Smoke
July 10, 2014 — Pets Harmed by Secondhand Smoke
- Stem Cell Therapy for Cats and Dogs?
June 5, 2014 — This novel treatment is a promising option for some pet conditions.
- Many Pets Are Too Plump
May 29, 2014 — Measure food portions and provide daily exercise to keep your furry companions in shape, vet advises
- Pets Can Carry Same 'Superbug' Strains as Owners
May 13, 2014 — But infection tends to originate in humans, so concern that your cat or dog has MRSA isn't necessary, researchers say
- When Your Pet Has a Flea Allergy
May 6, 2014 — Fleabites are worse for some animals. Here’s how to help your dog or cat ease the itch.
- Surprising Problems From Ticks and Fleas
April 30, 2014 — They make your pets itch and scratch, but fleas and ticks can cause other problems for your pets.
- Expert Q&A: Flea and Tick Control
April 30, 2014 — How much do you know about flea and tick control for your pets? An expert answers all your flea and tick questions.
- How to Prepare Your Pet for Airplane Travel
April 29, 2014 — Make airplane travel easier for cats and dogs with these expert tips.
- Holistic Health Care for Pets
February 25, 2014 — Pet owners can figure out whether holistic health care treatments are right for their cats or dogs.
- Healthy Diets for Senior Pets
February 12, 2014 — As your pet ages, its nutritional needs can change. Find out what food might be right for your senior cat or dog.
- How to Stop Your Pet's Bad Habits
January 21, 2014 — Have a dog that barks? A cat that scratches the furniture? Our behavioral expert explains how to stop your pet from barking, scratching, and jumping.
- Perfect Pet Presents
December 20, 2013 — Forget junky treats and cheap toys – the best gifts for your furry friends are the ones that keep them healthy.
- Ask a Vet Before Giving Painkillers to Pets: Expert
November 7, 2013 — Dogs and cats can suffer deadly side effects from common over-the-counter drugs
- Clicker Training 101
September 17, 2013 — Time to get training underway? Learn to do it with a click.
- Pet Food Recall: Possible Salmonella Risk
August 16, 2013 — Procter & Gamble has voluntarily recalled some dry pet food because of a possible salmonella contamination.