PREVIOUS QUESTION:

 

NEXT QUESTION:

 

Why shouldn't dogs have xylitol?

ANSWER

Xylitol is used as a sweetener in gum, candy, many other foods and drinks, and toothpaste.

Fruits, vegetables, and mushrooms also have small amounts of xylitol.

In dogs, this ingredient can cause the hormone insulin to soar. This makes their blood sugar drop steeply. Xylitol can also cause liver damage.

Dogs often vomit after they eat or drink xylitol. Other symptoms include:

  • Weakness
  • Clumsiness
  • Seizures

From: Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat WebMD Medical Reference

SOURCES:

Gugler, K. July 2012. Compendium: Continuing education for veterinarians,

Kovalkovicova, N. September 2009. Interdisciplinary toxicology,

FDA: "No bones about it: Bones are unsafe for your dog."

Reviewed by Amy Flowers on May 09, 2019

SOURCES:

Gugler, K. July 2012. Compendium: Continuing education for veterinarians,

Kovalkovicova, N. September 2009. Interdisciplinary toxicology,

FDA: "No bones about it: Bones are unsafe for your dog."

Reviewed by Amy Flowers on May 09, 2019

NEXT QUESTION:

What should be included in your dog's diet?

WAS THIS ANSWER HELPFUL

THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.

    This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.