- Like Humans, a Dog's Odds for Dementia Rise With Age
August 26, 2022 — New research shows that risk climbs by half with every extra year of life in a dog's golden years.
- Michigan Officials Puzzled by Mysterious Deaths of Dogs
August 24, 2022 — Health authorities are investigating a parvovirus-like illness that has killed more than 30 dogs in northern Michigan, most within three days.
- Behind Watery Eyes: Is Your Pet Happy to See You?
August 23, 2022 — Dogs produce more tears when reunited with their owners than with other humans, a new study says. The finding suggests that emotions in dogs may produce tears.
- Monkeypox Confirmed in Pet Dog
August 15, 2022 — The monkeypox virus has been confirmed in a pet dog, and it most likely spread from owners who had the virus, according to a new case report in The Lancet.
- Should Your Dog Go Vegan?
April 14, 2022 — A new survey of dog owners suggests canines who follow a vegan diet might be a bit healthier. However, not all veterinary nutritionists agree.
- Dogs Feel Grief When Canine Companion Dies
February 24, 2022 — New research reveals when dogs experience the death of a fellow canine companion, they mourn the loss.
- Most Dog Breeds Are Highly Inbred -- and Unhealthy
December 7, 2021 — A new study confirms that most dog breeds are now highly inbred, increasing a dog's risk of health problems.
- Your Puppy Is Born Ready to Interact With You
June 4, 2021 — New research shows puppies have a capacity to interact with people without any prior experience or training and some are better at communication than others based on their genetics.
- A Puppy in Santa's Sack? Probably Not, Say Parents
December 23, 2019 — Forty-two percent of American parents say they wouldn't allow their child to receive a pet as a holiday gift. The same number say maybe, and only 1 in 6 say they'd approve, a new survey finds.
- CDC: Pet Store Puppies Carry Dangerous Bacteria
December 18, 2019 — Puppies in pet stores appear to have transmitted a dangerous, antibiotic-resistant germ that's sickened 30 people across 13 states, the CDC said.
- National Project Will Delve Into How Dogs Age
November 14, 2019 — The 40 researchers behind the Dog Aging Project want many of man's furry companions to be enrolled in a 10-year study of what helps canines live long, healthy lives.
- Raw Dog Food May Pose Salmonella Threat
September 30, 2019 — The FDA is warning people not to give dogs frozen Performance Dog Raw Pet Food because it has tested positive for Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes.
- Toxic Algae Kills Dogs Across the Country
August 14, 2019 — The killer is blue-green algae, or cyanobacteria, that can be found in fresh or salt water and contain toxins that can be fatal to dogs within minutes, hours, or days of exposure.
- Iowa-Bred Dogs Have Disease That Can Pass to Humans
May 13, 2019 — While the threat to pet owners is low, human symptoms include fever, sweats, headache, joint pain and weakness, the state health department said.
- More Elderly Are Breaking Bones While Dog Walking
March 6, 2019 — Still, taking your dog for a walk can also bring big health rewards, one joint specialist said.
- Study: Raw Dog Food Can Be Risky for Pet, Family
March 5, 2019 — Bacteria including E. coli and salmonella can make animals very sick. And pets can shed those germs, putting owners at risk from being around the animals, as well as handling the raw food.
- Obesity Can Cut Years Off Your Dog's Life, Too
January 16, 2019 — Among all breeds in the study, the risk of earlier death was higher among overweight dogs.
- Dog Food Recalled Due to Salmonella
January 15, 2019 — One lot of A+ Answers Straight Beef Formula for Dogs has been recalled in Nebraska due to possible salmonella contamination, the FDA says.
- Animal, Bug Bites a Billion-Dollar Burden
December 11, 2018 — Attacks by mountain lions, bears and alligators get the most press, but the tiniest critters create the most work for emergency room doctors. Bug bites and stings account for more than half of all animal-related trips to the ER, the authors of a new study discovered.
- Toxic Amounts of Vitamin D Spur Dog Food Recall
December 4, 2018 — If your dog has eaten any of the recalled brands and show these symptoms, you should contact your veterinarian immediately, the FDA said.
- New Drug Treats Dogs Scared by Loud Noises
December 4, 2018 — Pexion (imepitoin tablets), just approved by the Food and Drug Administration, is for dogs scared by loud noises such as fireworks, street/traffic racket, and gun shots.
- FDA Hopes to Spare Dogs in Veterinary Drug Trials
November 16, 2018 — Under a new plan, the FDA hopes to make obsolete a certain type of drug trial that requires that the test dogs be euthanized.
- Halloween: Keep A Close Eye on the Treats, Pets
October 30, 2018 — At Halloween, all kinds of tasty treats may tempt your pooch. But for his safety, and your peace of mind, keep the chocolate and other snacks in a confined, elevated space, like a pantry.
- Does Your Dog Really Understand You?
October 19, 2018 — Research at Emory University suggests that dogs have at least a basic ability to recognize words they've been taught, and to distinguish between words they've heard before and those they haven't.
- FDA: Pets May Have Bad Reactions to Flea Medicine
September 21, 2018 — Although most dogs and cats handle this powerful pesticide just fine, others can have severe reactions, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said Thursday.
- Your Puppy Can Make You Very Sick, CDC says
September 20, 2018 — An outbreak of antibiotic-resistant Campylobacter infections in 2017 and 2018 that sickened 118 people in 18 states was traced to pet store puppies, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Puppy to the Rescue: Dogs Sense Need, Run to Help
July 24, 2018 — Dogs not only sense what their owners are feeling, but if a dog knows a way to help them, they'll go through barriers to provide help to them, researchers at Johns Hopkins University report.
- Report: Dog Illness Can Spread to Humans
July 11, 2018 — A strain of bacterium carried by dogs -- Brucella canis -- could be widespread in humans, according to a report from Texas A&M University.
- Recall: Treats May Spike Dog’s Thyroid Hormones
March 27, 2018 — The thyroid hormone comes from ground livestock gullets -- cuts of meat from the cow’s throat. When these parts are used to make dog treats, it can send a dog’s thyroid gland into overdrive.
- Holiday Chocolates No Treat for Dogs
December 20, 2017 — British researchers discovered that dogs were over four times more likely to eat chocolate at Christmas and nearly twice as likely to do so at Easter than the rest of the year.
- 'Love Hormone' May Strengthen the Dog-Human Bond
December 8, 2017 — Produced naturally by humans and dogs, the hormone "influences what the dog sees and how it experiences the thing it sees," said study co-author Sanni Somppi.
- Dog Food Recalled After Tests Find Euthanasia Drug
April 28, 2017 — Party Animal is recalling dog food that tested positive for a pet euthanasia drug.
- Blue Wilderness Dog Food Recalled
March 20, 2017 — The food may have elevated levels of naturally-occurring beef thyroid hormones
- Evanger's Dog Food Recall Expanded
March 7, 2017 — The dog food may be contaminated with pentobarbital
- 'Hunk of Beef' Dog Food Recalled
February 6, 2017 — Five dogs became ill and one died after eating the food, officials say
- Skin Cancer Cream Linked to 5 Dog Deaths: FDA
January 19, 2017 — Even ingesting small amounts of fluorouracil can kill family pets, agency warns
- Not All Dogs Are Man's (or Kids') Best Friend
September 17, 2016 — Study suggests young children need to be told they shouldn't approach a scared dog
- Dogs Having Tough Time Maintaining Fertility
August 10, 2016 — Veterinarians think chemical pollutants may be to blame; finding might have implications for human males
- Clues to Dog 'Wagging' Disorder
August 2, 2016 — Limber tail, a painful disorder that mostly affects larger breeds, may have genetic roots
- Walking Fido Is Doggone Good for Your Health
May 6, 2016 — Host of benefits unleashed for older folks, researchers find
- Xylitol Sweetener Can Kill Dogs
November 5, 2015 — Xylitol Sweetener Can Kill Dogs
- Puppy Chews Recalled Over Salmonella Risk
April 27, 2015 — Puppy Chews Recalled Over Salmonella Risk
- Roundworm Parasite Targets Canine Eyes
April 16, 2015 — Report says small number of cases reported in the United States
- Humans Can't Resist Those Puppy-Dog Eyes
April 16, 2015 — Levels of hormone that triggers bonding increase in dogs, owners during extended gazes, study shows
- Dog Flu Outbreak Unleashes Veterinarian Warnings
April 16, 2015 — Pay attention to where cases are occurring
- Dog Flu Outbreak in Chicago
April 8, 2015 — Dog Flu Outbreak in Chicago
- Therapy Dogs Help Patients With Cancer Treatment
January 20, 2015 — 'I would've stopped the treatment, but I wanted to come see the dog'
- Your Dog Really Is Listening to You
November 26, 2014 — Study finds canines process speech in a human-like way
- Canine Cancer Treatments Getting More Dog-Specific
September 5, 2014 — FDA expert details what you need to know to help your 'best friend'