If your dog has an upset stomach or is feeling ill, they may have food poisoning.
It happens more often in dogs than you’d think. Lots of things in your kitchen, like raw meat and fish, old eggs, or moldy cheese are breeding grounds for dangerous bacteria. These include E. coli, salmonella, staphylococcus, and others.
While your dog can bounce back quickly from most things, a trip to the animal hospital may be necessary. Here’s what you need to know.
Signs to Watch Out For
There’s generally a short amount of time between when your dog eats contaminated food and when they start showing a physical reaction. The symptoms and severity of food poisoning depend on the type of bacteria.
Food poisoning symptoms can include:
- Panting and salivation
- Severe thirst
- Uncontrolled peeing
In severe cases, your dog may have:
- Heart palpitations
What to Do if You Think Your Dog Has Food Poisoning
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center is a good resource if you think your dog has eaten something bad for them. Call (888) 426-4435 for help. Experts are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Go to an animal hospital right away if their symptoms are getting worse or haven’t improved in a few hours.
How to Protect Your Pooch
Follow these tips to keep your dog safe:
- Make sure your trash cans and waste baskets are tightly covered.
- Toss old foods from your fridge.
- Don’t leave your dog without supervision for too long.
- Check for expiration dates on your dog foods.
- Watch out for any pet food recalls.
- Always check ingredient lists for any dangerous foods.
- Don’t forget to wash your hands after touching raw meat or eggs.