Safety Tips for Using Flea and Tick Products
Carpets, Floors, and Yards
You have to control pests in and out of your home. If you treat your house with an insecticide, ask your vet which ones are safe around pets and children.
Take these extra steps to manage fleas inside:
- Vacuum daily -- that includes carpets, cushioned furniture, baseboards, and the basement. Throw away the vacuum bag or thoroughly wash the canister after each use.
- Steam-clean regularly, especially areas where your dog sleeps.
- Wash pet and human bedding at least every 2 to 3 weeks.
Here are tips to control pests in your yard:
- Regularly remove leaf litter, tall grasses, and brush.
- Get rid of plants that attract deer, since deer carry ticks.
- Cover garbage and store it out of reach of raccoons and rodents, which host ticks and fleas.
- Trade chemicals for nematodes. These microscopic worms kill flea larvae and cocoons. Ask your pet or garden store for details.