Your dog may be eager to eat "people food" from your dinner table or finish leftovers after a meal. It's safe to share certain foods with your dog. But some common foods and drinks can be harmful or even deadly for dogs.
Don't share these items:
Even small amounts of alcohol can be dangerous for your dog. At parties and other events where alcohol is flowing, place open drinks where your dog can't reach them.
Keep household items that contain alcohol, such as mouthwash, in a safe place.
Alcohol can be found in other surprising places. Dogs have gotten into trouble eating rotten apples, which can produce alcohol when they go bad.
Symptoms of alcohol poisoning in dogs include:
- Excited behavior
- Clumsy movements
- Lack of energy
Avocados and their leaves contain a toxin called persin. It can be harmful to dogs and many other pets.
Avocado poisoning in dogs can cause symptoms such as:
- Trouble breathing
Keep bones from chicken, roasts, and other meats away from your dog. He can choke while eating bones.
Also, bones can break into sharp pieces that may cause bleeding and infection inside your dog.
Yeast dough can be harmful to dogs for several reasons.
After a dog eats dough, it can produce gas. This can cause the stomach to become twisted or even torn.
The rising dough also produces alcohol, which dogs should avoid.
If your dog has eaten bread dough, he may have these symptoms:
- Swollen belly
- Abdominal pain
You'll know your dog has abdominal pain if he has symptoms such as:
- Doesn't want to lie down
- Stretches front legs out with chest down and rear up
- Yelps when abdomen is touched
- Doesn't want to eat
While caffeine may give you a sense of wakefulness and energy, it's toxic to your dog.
Keep these items away from him:
- Coffee or coffee grounds
- Energy drinks
- Tablets containing caffeine
If your dog has caffeine poisoning he may have these symptoms:
- Hyperactive behavior
- Muscle quivers
Chocolate contains caffeine and a related chemical called theobromine that is also harmful to dogs.
Darker chocolates, including cocoa powder, contain more theobromine per ounce than milk chocolate. Eating just a half-ounce of baking chocolate could be deadly for a 5-pound dog.
Symptoms from eating a small amount of chocolate include:
If your dog eats larger amounts it can also lead to:
- Tremors and seizures
- Irregular heartbeat