Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Healthy Dogs

Font Size

Shock and Anaphylactic Shock in Dogs

Anaphylactic Shock

Anaphylactic shock is an immediate, serious allergic reaction. It occurs when a dog is exposed to an allergen to which he has been sensitized. Sensitivity occurs through prior contact.

The most common drug allergen that causes anaphylactic shock is penicillin. The venom in the stings of bees and wasps can also occasionally produce anaphylactic shock. Some dogs have been known to experience shock after a vaccination, but this is not common.

Anaphylactic shock causes signs and symptoms different from those previously described for shock. Initially there may be local signs at the point of contact, including pain, itching, swelling, and redness of the skin. With acute anaphylaxis, the allergic response becomes generalized, either immediately or over the course of several hours. Signs are agitation, diarrhea, vomiting, difficulty breathing, stridor (harsh breathing sounds) from a swollen voice box, weakness, and circulatory collapse. In untreated cases, coma and death follow.

Treatment: Emergency treatment of anaphylactic shock involves administering intravenous or subcutaneous adrenaline, oxygen, antihistamines, IV fluids, and hydrocortisone-drugs not available in the home. This is why it is best to have your veterinarian give vaccines-he or she has the drugs and equipment to treat allergic reactions in time.

A dog who has had an allergic reaction to a drug in the past should not be given that drug again.

  

   

1|2

WebMD Veterinary Reference from "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook"

Today on WebMD

boxer dog
Slideshow
dog on couch
Evaluator
 
bad dog
Slideshow
Sad dog and guacamole
Slideshow
 
Pit bull looking up
Article
Pets: Is My Dog Normal
Slideshow
 
Dog scratching behind ear
Slideshow
dog catching frisbee
Slideshow
 
Dog Breed RMQ
Quiz
puppy eating
Slideshow
 
pooldle
Slideshow
ashamed yorkshire terrier
Slideshow