Canine Flu Symptoms and Treatment
Can I Catch Canine Influenza From My Dog?
No. There is no evidence that dogs can transmit CIV to humans.
How Can I Help Prevent My Dog From Spreading the Disease?
Any dog infected with CIV should be kept isolated from other for 10-14 days from the onset of symptoms. Dogs are most infectious before symptoms are apparent, and can continue shedding the virus for around 10 days. This means that by the time symptoms are seen, other dogs may have already been exposed.
I Foster/Work With Multiple Dogs. What Advice Do You Have For Me?
The risk of CIV is always present. That’s why it’s important to work with a veterinarian to develop a plan of action in the event of an outbreak. You’ll want to diagnose and treat the issue promptly.
- Routinely monitor animals for signs of illness and keep medical records.
- Isolate sick animals from healthy animals, especially those with signs of respiratory disease.
- Wash hands with soap and water after handling each animal.
- Gloves should be worn when handling infected dogs or cleaning contaminated cages.
- Use antibiotics with care.
- Remember that CIV is generally a very treatable disease.